Upad, an online company launched in 2008 is fast growing in popularity amongst landlords and renters alike. The CEO of Upad James Davis mentioned that he began the company after identifying a need in the market for a service that took the hassle out of property rental for tenants and landlords.
Upad has released the following list of free helpful tips for landlords in 2009.
• Improve your property
Using simple, low cost measures such as installing energy saving light bulbs, checking the thickness of loft insulation, fitting lagging to pipes and water tanks, draught proofing and turning down thermostats, landlords can improve their properties which would save their money as well as the tenant’s money.
• Maintain the property over the winter By preparing and making provisions for incidents such as leaking roofs, burst pipes etc
• Obtain a mortgage agreement up to six month prior to the current mortgage ending
• Maintain close contact with the tenant
• Be aware of the changes to household benefits payments
• Carry out market research
• Obtain Energy Performance Certificates(EPCs) as it is a legal requirement for all new lets
• Request references for new tenants
• Attempt to secure a longer tenancy period with good tenants where possible
• Inform tenant of emergency procedures and telephone numbers