How to protect a listed building

A thatched house in the countryside is the dream home for a lot of people, but owning this type of property can involve a lot of complications.It is important potential buyers do their research before they are ready to put in an offer on a thatched house, as otherwise they could come across a wide range of problems in the long run.

One of the things a lot of people do not tend to know about thatched houses is that the majority of them are also listed buildings – which means there are various things owners have to learn.If you own a listed building you are going to have to take even more care of the property than you would for a normal home, so it is vital you understand the commitment you are making before you sign a contract and book the moving vans.

There are around 60,000 thatched houses left in the UK and these tend to be in demand, so if you have your heart set on this type of home then you may need to be prepared to wait.

Why are thatched houses listed buildings?

Of the 60,000 or so thatched houses in the UK – the vast majority of which can be found in the south-east of England – it is thought around three-quarters of them are also listed buildings.

Thatched properties tend to be older than other types of homes and many of the buildings are of local importance, so there are various regulations you will have to abide by if you want to own a home like this.

Councils tend to have strict rules regarding the construction and repairs carried out at houses of this nature, so it is important you do your research and ensure you are within your rights before you even think about booking a builder.Specialist tradespeople will be able to advise you on the state of your thatched roof and you should have a thorough survey carried out on the building before putting in an offer.

This will allow you to learn what condition the roof is in and start to think about the schedule you will need to stick to for repairs. You will want to work this out in advance as there are not many professional thatchers around any more so you might need to book their expertise early.

Protecting a listed building

One of the most important things you need to consider if you are buying a thatched house that is also a listed building is the type of insurance you purchase to protect the residence.

A regular policy off the high street is unlikely to suit your requirements because of the complexities involved with owning a listed building, so you might want to speak to a broker.They will be able to advise you in detail about thatched house insurance from Certis and what you need to do to ensure you and your family are fully protected in the event of needing to make a claim.

Insurance for thatched houses can be pricey if you do not shop around because of the perceived increased risk of fire in this type of house, but if you find the right insurer and take all the necessary steps to cut fire risks in your home, you can bring down the cost of your premiums.


About the author  ⁄ Mike

Comments are closed.

Please wait...

Subscribe to our newsletter

Want to be notified when our article is published? Enter your email address and name below to be the first to know.