When you need to choose flooring material for your home, there are several different options to consider. Three of the most popular options include tile, hardwood flooring and carpet. Other solutions that some consider include linoleum or vinyl flooring.
While there is a preference for hardwood among some home buyers, for the most part, one of the best flooring materials remains a material that has been in use for generations: carpet. While carpet styles have changed, carpet remains a practical and popular flooring choice that has many significant advantages over other flooring solutions.
Choose Carpet Over the Other Options
As you consider what materials to use for flooring in your home, here are a few of many reasons why carpet still makes sense as a great choice:
- Carpet is versatile and comes in a huge variety of different colors and styles. HGTV has an entire page on Carpet Selection and points out that carpet dealers often carry multiple different lines of carpet from multiple different mills. While you may have many limits in terms of available colors for hardwood flooring and tile, you are usually limited only by your imagination when it comes to selecting carpet.
- Carpet is quieter. Colorado State Extension sites the quietness of carpet as one of the main advantages of this type of flooring material. Both hardwood and tile can cause sound to echo, which is especially troubling in homes with high ceilings or double-height rooms. Carpet, on the other hand, absorbs sound and mutes noise. If you don’t like the sound of heels clicking on hardwood or you don’t want all of your conversations to carry throughout your whole house, installing carpet can just make sense.
- Carpet can be much easier to care for. When you have hardwood and tile, it often shows every little spec of dirt and pet hair. This leaves you cleaning your home every day and perhaps still not satisfied that your house actually looks clean. The carpet that you install is much more forgiving and you don’t necessarily have to clean constantly in order for it to look nice. When you are ready to clean your carpet, it is usually much easier to run a vacuum over it as compared with hardwood and tile which you may have to mop in order to get clean.
- Carpet can be much easier to refresh. Carpet, hardwood and tile can all be prone to getting dirty and old as time passes. With hardwood, you would need to refinish the floors in order to make them look nice again when they get old. This is an expensive, labor intensive process that can be time consuming, and that can result in lots of chemicals in your home. Tile can also become really dirty, necessitating the replacement of grout. Again, this is costly. With carpet, on the other hand, you can hire professional carpet cleaners like Chem-Dry. With a professional cleaning using all natural products, you don’t have to worry about chemicals and you won’t spend a fortune to get your carpets looking as good as new again.
- Carpet is often warmer. Carpet is a much warmer flooring material than hardwood or tile can be. You don’t want to sit on a cold hardwood floor and you also do not want your children playing on a cold hardwood floor. Carpet, on the other hand, can be a comfortable place to relax and can make a room very warm and inviting.
- Carpet can be a lower cost solution. Hardwood and tile can be costly to install and can be expensive to buy. Carpet comes in a variety of different price points and is much simpler to install. Almost everyone can find a carpet that fits their budget and that looks nice in their home. You don’t want to blow your entire upgrade or remodeling budget just on flooring for your home when you can choose from a wide variety of different carpet styles that end up looking just right.
These are just a few of the many different reasons why it can make a whole lot of sense to opt for carpet for at least some of the flooring materials in your home. While most people use tile or hardwood in kitchens and bathrooms, the other rooms in your home (and especially family rooms and bedrooms) can usually benefit from the choice of carpet.
Jessica Benson is an interior decorator with an eye for beauty and functionality. She helps clients create beautiful home settings while saving money.